Deadline : March 1, 2020
Wells Mountain Initiative (WMI), began in 2005 with the sponsorship of a single scholar from Kopeyia, Ghana. In their first full year of operation in 2006, they increased our support to eight students from Ghana and Senegal. Today, WMI supports scholars from over 42 countries with 185 scholars currently studying and 161 graduate scholars.
Each year WMI provides support to students as they pursue various educational objectives. Support is provided for post-secondary school (university, polytechnic, trade school). Financial support is primarily to cover tuition and school fees and directly related expenses including books and supplies.
They award 50-60 scholarships per year. The maximum scholarship is $3,000 USD per year. The scholarship supports:
- Tuition and fees
- Books and materials
- Other related costs
A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Is 35 or under on March 1, 2020
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world*
- Is pursuing his or her first bachelor’s degree or diploma
- Will be enrolled in a program of study that will benefit the community and/or contribute to the continued growth and advancement of his or her home country
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has demonstrated his or her commitment to giving back and has volunteered prior to applying
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to pursue his or her tertiary degree without financial assistance
- December 1, 2019 – The 2020 WMI Scholars Program application will be available on our website. Completed 2020 applications will start to be accepted on this date.
- March 1, 2020 – The 2020 WMI Scholars Program application deadline.
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Essay (topic is stated on application form)
- 2020 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret secondary school grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret tertiary grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
To Apply, Click here